apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:24:20 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>> I'm very much unconvinced.  The app can serialize access to the
>> APR-global pool, if it wants to - likewise it could create a special
>> "DSO-holding-pool" from the global pool directly after calling
>> apr_initialize() to avoid the whole issue.
>>

> You're still thinking in terms of "the app". Subversion is not an
> application. Yes, we could add an svn_initialize function that should be
> called by the app that uses SVN libraries right after apr_initialize.
> But our API compatibility guarantees (just like APR's) mean we can't
> force the use of that function until svn-2.0. Also, there's a large code
> base using SVN libs that have to work with newer releases.
>
> Granted, we made a mistake in our API. That doesn't mean there's no
> usability problem in APR.

I grok where you are getting at (remember that a program may load an apr
based module without even being an apr application Joe!  Worse, it may
load two such modules).

Branko - would you like to add a simple apr/test/ app that illustrates
the issue for your skeptics?  Then it will be simpler to fix the API if
necessary or provide the appropriate workarounds, and document that through
the test example.

Bill