apr-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Weigelt <weig...@metux.de>
Subject Re: APR_CHECK_FILE considered harmful
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:40:52 GMT
* William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

Hi,

> checking for /dev/zero... (cached) _dev_zero
>
> It occurs to me WHY did we use APR_CHECK_FILE() instead of AC_CHECK_FILE()?
> What does it buy us?
>
> I'd rather just chuck crufty macros rather than 'fix' them, when it's
> sufficiently covered already by autoconf.

ACK.

BTW: AC_CHECK_FILE() can be harmful, too - ie. when crosscompiling.
You really should not rely too much on that.

AC_TRY_RUN() is even worse, it breaks it completely.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481