apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:15:48 GMT
On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 05:29:45PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Here's a patch to mod_test.c and testdso.c that illustrates the
> problem.  Note that this is running inside the test framework, so it's
> not identical to the case we're talking about, but you should be able
> to get the idea from what's there.  If we move forward on this I'll
> move the code out into a separate program so we can really simulate
> the case we're talking about.

It's very easy to create test cases which crash and burn due to pool
hierarchy abuse using sockets or hash tables or anything else, without
using DSOs.  I still don't see why this problem should be considered as
anything more than that: abuse of the pool heirarchy by the user-of-APR.

Branko says "OK; but pools are a usability problem which needs fixing"
(if you'll excuse the liberal paraphrasing ;) - we can have discussions
about radical changes to pools and their use in APR; but I don't have
much sympathy with adding with some hack to create a "special
DSO-holding global pool", or changing how allocation from the real
global pool is done, just to workaround a single (if systemic) instance
of pool abuse in one application [1].

[1] substitute "application" for "consumer of the APR API" at will

View raw message