apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:15:02 GMT
On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 02:55:49PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> I'm really just hoping for a way to make DSO loaded libraries just the
> same as any other library, if they require a whole lot of backflips to
> use reliably, that seems like a problem to me.

Of course, with DSOs there are some whole new lifetime issues to think
about - it *is* difficult, no doubt about it.  Nesting pools properly
and avoiding "global" pools helps with constraining the DSO to its own
little short-lived world.

I'm not seeing anything at all here which needs changing in APR; just
some application code which has not been designed in anticipation of
being used from a DSO.  That is really not something which can or should
be fixed in APR.

Regards,

joe