apr-dev mailing list archives

From Klaus Wagner <kl...@it-austria.net>
Subject Regex encap. but not SSL?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:57:07 GMT
On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 16:48 +0100, david reid wrote:

> I've heard this a couple of times now, so while I had thought the
> benefits spoke for themselves maybe they don't.

As the regex encap. thread flames up I would like to know
if anyone ever intended to encap. SSL Libraries in apr-util.

The benefits would be far greater. gnutls and openssl could be
included - maybe even microsofts crypto api. this would raise
abilities for a) applications and b) httpd greatly which by now only
supports openssl (if my understanding is correct).

Openssl from a users view is quite hard to handle. There are several
ways to initialize ciphers wrong, mess up the code with BIO structures
and it gets even worse if nonblocking IO comes in.

So the main benefit would be simplification and abstraction from BIO
structures, beside the ability of using different backends.

I know that this task would be complicated and I don't know if all
crypto implementations have at least some similar functionalities
that can be wrapped.

regards klaus