apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crypto FAQ
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:16:10 GMT
On 7/8/06, Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net> wrote:
> But more seriously; yes, it is weird that we (non-US committers) have to
> worry so much about US-export law. From the project point of view, it's
> something we have to be a bit wary of, because it tends to create
> incompatible forks.

Incidentally, the EU also has very similar restrictions on the very
same crypto, primarily driven from the Wassenaar Arrangement, which
covers many other nations as well (see
http://www.wassenaar.org/participants/).

> There are already people building apr and httpd binaries for
> distribution which are incompatible with our own because of this. So
> we should keep our eyes open :-)
>
> It's one of the few negatives of being an ASF hosted project, and we
> should work hard to minimise its real-world impact. Based on what I
> heard at the BoF, I see no reason why anyone should really care about
> any of this, it's a total non-problem and compliance is relatively
> trivial.

I agree.  We've cumulatively already spent far more work on this issue
than I expect committers to have to spend from this point onward.  The
hard part was figuring out exactly what we had to do and how to make
it as easy as possible for our committers.

Cliff