apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Crypto FAQ
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:37:05 GMT
On 7/4/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to get an FAQ together that covers the key Q&As that came up
> during the ApacheCon BOF last week.  To aid my memory of the event
> (wish we would have taken notes during the BOF to go straight to the
> list), Bill suggested I start with a list of the Q&As that I've had
> with BIS, many of which came up during the BOF.  Please jump in with
> comments or questions to add.  I'll add the result of this thread to
> the dev/crypto.html page shortly.

Note that this is great stuff, and I think I sort of understand what
is being discussed, but for those of us who haven't done ANY sort of
research into this stuff, it probably makes sense to start with some
sort of summary of what rules we're trying to follow, who makes those
rules, what the various acronyms stand for, that sort of thing.  For
example, you start off throwing about terms like BIS, TSU, etc, but
never actually define them.

I mean I get the general idea here (we need to notify some government
agency before we start distributing crypto code), but it'd be good to
get the actual specifics someplace we can expect people to read,
before diving into the FAQ.

Also, another question I've got is who the point of contact on the
notification email should be.  Is that the PMC chair?  And where does
this email get sent to anyway?

-garrett (who has not been spending nearly as much time as he should
following this thread, and is hoping that Cliff will rescue him with a
nice "you need to do this, this, and this to keep us from breaking the
law" kind of recipie soon ;-)