apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: "z" modifier for APR_SIZE_T_FMT?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:56:20 GMT
At 04:30 AM 7/12/2006, Joe Orton wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:20:03PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > On 7/10/06, Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
> > >Is there any reason why the "z" modifier is not included here?
> It seems like
> > >that is what printf(3) says we want to use for formatting size_t
> types.
> >
> > Off the top of my head I'm not sure, perhaps configure just isn't
> > smart enough to use that if it's available?  I'm also not sure if
> the
> > apr *printf code knows about that format code...
>
>It doesn't, but there's no reason why it couldn't be added.  The
>APR_{S,}SIZE_T_FMT macros are completely redundant if the z modifier
>is
>supported, I don't know why that wasn't done to start with, it has
>meant
>a lot of ugly code in a lot of places.

I had to go to a Unix system to look up what the "z" meant, because
Windows printf doesn't have it.  I think that the corresponding flag
on Windows is "I".

To specify ptrdiff_t (that is, __int32 on 32-bit platforms, __int64
on 64-bit platforms), Use prefix I, With type specifier d, i, o, x,
or X.

To specify size_t (that is, unsigned __int32 on 32-bit platforms,
unsigned __int64 on 64-bit platforms), Use prefix I, With type
specifier o, u, x, or X.