apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [patch 00/17] successful msys/mingw build
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:57:34 GMT
On 7/14/06, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > For the record, here's a quick dump of what I downloaded/installed
> > from mingw.sf.net:
> > - MinGW 5.0.3
> > - MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04-30-1
> > - msysDTK-1.0.1
> > - msys-autoconf-2.5.9.tar.bz2 (extract to /usr)
> > - msys-libtool-1.5.tar.bz2 (extract to /usr)
> >

> I also needed:
> Python-2.5b2 (to run buildconf)
> TortoiseSVN
>
> So that I could run buildconf.
>
> Steps:
> 1) checkout source
> 2) open msys
> 3) run buildconf
> 4) run ./configure with:
>     --enable-experimental-libtool CFLAGS="-O0"
> 5) go get a beer (configure is really slow...)
> 6) run make
>
> Then I ran into problems:
> make[1]: Entering directory `/c/work/asf/apr'
> /c/work/asf/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc   -O0
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE   -I./include
> -I/c/work/asf/apr/include/arch/win32 -I./include/arch/unix
> -I/c/work/asf/apr/include  -o passwd\apr_getpass.lo -c
> passwd\apr_getpass.c && touch passwd\apr_getpass.lo
> gcc.exe: passwdapr_getpass.c: No such file or directory
> gcc.exe: no input files
> make[1]: *** [passwd\apr_getpass.lo] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/work/asf/apr'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> If I manually changed the libtool line, to use / as path deliminators,
> it works.
>
> So, attached is a patch to modify buildconf to generate a 'correct'
> build-rules.mk on win32.
>
> Is this the correct way to do it, or is something wrong in my setup?

That patch should be fine.  This is due to Python being a 'true' Win32
build - so it has path delimiters of '\' which the msys make doesn't
accept (I referred to this in my earlier post, FWIW - perhaps too
cryptically though).  In a perfect world, we would conditionalize this
mapping to only be done on Win32 too; but it's essentially a no-op on
Unix platforms.  So, +1.

BTW, I saw on #apr that you were having an issue with:

 /mingw/lib/libmingw32.a(main.o)(.text+0x106):main.c: undefined
reference to `WinMain@16'

This is caused by apr_app.c being pulled in incorrectly (also
mentioned before too).  It defines main() and should not be linked
with the APR DLL.  We need to teach gen-build to ignore that one file.
 (Ideally, we should delete it from the tree, but the test programs
use it and doing so would cause us to have to tweak MSVC++'s build
system and I really don't want to do that...)

Thanks!  -- justin