apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Crypto FAQ
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:13:00 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> No -- we were talking about the Product Name earlier in the thread,
> not the Manufacturer.  Take a look at the first two questions in the
> FAQ and tell me if this makes sense.  We're always Submitting these
> things For the ASF about the Products we export that include crypto
> that we Notify them about, built by one or more Manufacturers, which
> may or may not include us.
>
> FAQ:
> http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#faq-productname
> http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#faq-manufacturer

Ok, I guess this proves I'm still confused :)  The concept is that the
ASF manufactures a "Product" for export from the US.  This is really the
difference between an OEM and the Manufacturer.  A similar case would be
a 802.11 card manufacturer who integrates an Intel chipset; is the BIS's
interest in the OEM manufacturer, Intel?  Or the company who's assembled
the chip into a card?  If you can integrate the answer to those two topics,
Product v.s. Manufacturer, maybe I'd grok this better :)

In the case that the OEM is needed, do we list the

Manufacturer: Apache Software Foundation, OpenSSL Group

as multiple manufacturers when we ship apr-util's crypto?