apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r422157 - /apr/apr/trunk/file_io/win32/filepath.c
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:49:35 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 7/16/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> To clarify -again-, the case of the name is determined by the case of
>> the name in the filesystem.  The case of the drive is arbitrarily chosen
>> but must be one or another.
>
> Not true, AFAICT.  The MSVC run-time can and does report c:\ or C:\.
> FWIW, the MSDN documentation for GetFullPathName() never refers to
> this case-sensitivity.  In fact, the MSDN docs refer to it as c:\ - so
> where does having the drive-letter be capitalized come from again?  --

Comparisons.  Deny "C:/" pattern.  Now, are we going to catch "c:/"?

If we get TRUECASE of the pattern and the path, they must match if same
or mismatch if different.  Case insensitive test is not sufficient since
that's a whopping 96 codepage points out of 64k in unicode.

So we can pick force-upper or pick force lower.  Picking neither is not
an option.

Uppercase comes from ancient history in DOS roots, where the physical
device name is upper case.

Bill