apr-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Crypto FAQ
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:40:53 GMT
On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 09:47:21AM -0400, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> And, no, we're not all going to move to Cuba just for this...  =)  -- justin

It's not *just* this, it's also got better weather. I mean, compared to
Delaware.

But more seriously; yes, it is weird that we (non-US committers) have to
worry so much about US-export law. From the project point of view, it's
something we have to be a bit wary of, because it tends to create
incompatible forks.

There are already people building apr and httpd binaries for
distribution which are incompatible with our own because of this. So
we should keep our eyes open :-)

It's one of the few negatives of being an ASF hosted project, and we
should work hard to minimise its real-world impact. Based on what I
heard at the BoF, I see no reason why anyone should really care about
any of this, it's a total non-problem and compliance is relatively
trivial.