apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:43:34 GMT
On 6/13/06, david reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The attached patch is a first pass at getting some support for using
> openssl directly for ssl sockets within APR. I've tried to be generic in
> the basic configure code, but the actaul guts are basically openssl related.

What about an I/O layering system for sockets?  This is in essence the
set of function pointers used by the one true sockets API to call out
to the details, as mentioned in other posts.

The application can push an SSL layer (insert structure of function
pointers) or tracing layer or something else on the socket.  The
details of SSL or tracing or whatever stay separate from the basic
socket I/O performed by the existing apr network I/O package.

In some cases, layers can be used by other components without
forethought by the socket creator.  With httpd as an example:

MPM does an accept on a socket; SSL module pre-connection hook runs,
determines that the vhost is SSL-enabled and pushes an SSL I/O layer
onto the socket.  Normal core input/output filter is used even for

Trace module pre-connection hook runs, determines that connection is
selected for I/O trace, and pushes a trace I/O layer onto the socket.

View raw message