apr-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mansion" <ja...@wgold.demon.co.uk>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:11:03 GMT
>Let's at least not add this performance hit where it isn't needed, and leave
>apr_socket_read/write alone.  More that I think about it, an apr_io_XXX() API
>for any application that prefers more abstraction would be a win, all around.

I'd be very keen on this.  I've been experimenting with converting pdel to use
APR rather than raw interfaces, and one of the issues was that it uses funopen
to use FILE* as an abstraction, so I had to replace that with an abstraction.
When it came to wrapping the apr descriptors, it does become clear how painful
the split between apr_file_t and apr_socket_t is.  Its not as if its very
consistent, given that file is used for pipes and they have 'in between'
semantics.

I end up passing apr_descriptor and apr_datatype_e pairs around all over
and having switches and its a PITA.

I'd much rather see it all unified behind an abstraction.

What's wrong with just using OpenSSL BIOs anyway?

We can bring them in-tree like Expat is in apu and make it switchable
whether to use the real ones.

I'd be wary of worrying unduly about a few extra indirections - these are
IO operations we're talking about here, albeit some might be against internal
buffers.

I'd be very interested to see an application benchmark that shows a measurable
difference when its written in a sane way and doesn't do stupid byte-at-a-time
stuff to inflate the overhead.