apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Stein" <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: io abstractions
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:12:46 GMT
On 6/26/06, James Mansion <james@wgold.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >The API is not unified because some platforms (notably, Windows) do
> >not allow for unification of the various types. There were problems
>
> In all fairness, that's misinformation.  Its true iff your regard
> select() as the unification point, but select() is only a band-aid

That's not very cool. Please don't tell me it is "misinformation" when
I was *THERE* when this code was put together, and that is the reason
we have numerous types.

And your treatise on async versus sync doesn't really matter/apply. We
have synchronous APIs. Period. Yes, it would also be nice to have
async, but that is orthogonal to the problem at hand.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/