apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Stein" <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: io abstractions
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:23:01 GMT
The API is not unified because some platforms (notably, Windows) do
not allow for unification of the various types. There were problems
with doing a select() type of operation on files, iirc (tho you could
with pipes and sockets). For basic read/write, unification is no
problem. I don't think you can unify the creation, and certainly not
the type-specific APIs.

Having N entry points version N enum variatns is no big deal. I would
prefer the N functions instead of a parameterized function. Note that
you cannot open "stdout" on Windows unless you use the special
function.

readv makes sense, as it is easy to simulate if the platform does not have it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/