apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM overwrites $@
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:12:11 GMT
On 6/15/06, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Apart from the «ewww» factor, why can't it do its work in a subshell
> > and echo back the parameters to be set and those get eval-ed by
> > configure?
>
> Yes, something like that might work, given that you know the values
> can't contain "'" (though you should probably check this).
>
> It's unlikely that we'll buy the change back into Autoconf, though.

The point of our autoconf macro is to allow 'shortcuts', such that the argument

--with-layout=Foo

rewrites prefix/libexec/etc to a specific set of values (dictated by
our file config.layout) and then have explicit passed parameters
override those 'layout' files.

It looks like you switched the docs to recomend using AC_ARG_ENABLE,
but I'm not sure how that would address our issue.

We might be able to delay the AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM invocation until
after we process the layout options - but I seem to recall a reason
why we delayed invoking those macros.

Thanks.  -- justin