apr-dev mailing list archives

From david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposed Crypto Notification process
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:13:56 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:30:04AM +0100, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> > Notification solution;
>> >
>> > Post the following notice on our project-specific crypto notice page;
>> >
>> >   http://apr.apache.org/crypto.html
>>
>> My impression of our outcome at the BoF was that it would probably be
>> easier and preferred, if we maintained an ASF-wide list at;
>>
>>         http://www.apache.org/crypto.html
>>
>> or similar. Then once that's up, we send two BIS's, one for our
>> subversion repos, and one for all current and future releases of the
>> product, and that's it, we're done.
>
> Yes.
>
> We do not *need* to do a notice in the distribution - although that's
> a reasonable thing if we chose to do so.
>
> The only thing Garrett should do is send the following email to BIS:
>
> ---
> SUBMISSION TYPE: TSU
> SUBMITTED BY: Garrett
> SUBMITTED FOR: Apache Software Foundation
> POINT OF CONTACT: Garrett
> PHONE and/or FAX: {Colm's phone number *duck*}
> MANUFACTURER: The Apache Software Foundation
> PRODUCT NAME/MODEL #: Apache Portable Run-time Utility Library (APR-util)
> ECCN: 5D002
> NOTIFICATION: http://www.apache.org/crypto.html
>
> SUBMISSION TYPE: TSU
> SUBMITTED BY: Garrett
> SUBMITTED FOR: Apache Software Foundation
> POINT OF CONTACT: Garrett
> PHONE and/or FAX: {Colm's phone number *duck*}
> MANUFACTURER: The OpenSSL Project
> PRODUCT NAME/MODEL #: OpenSSL
> ECCN: 5D002
> NOTIFICATION: http://www.apache.org/crypto.html
> ---
>
> That's it.
>
> The crypto.html page would have the list of projects in alphabetical
> order as well as OpenSSL.  For APR-util, it'd note and link to:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/ (source)
>  http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ (binaries)
>
> For OpenSSL, it'd note and link to:
>
>  http://www.openssl.org/source/ (source)
>
> If we chose to go David's solution with an RDF format, that tool would
> generate the crypto.html page for us with the following links.

Actually, I think we should look at going a step further and have the
email sent automatically as well. When a project creates/updates a file
it can trigger a script to handle the email creation/submission - which
would be a win/win for everyone and hopefully make the projects lives a
bit easier as well. I really don't see the point of doing it other ways...