apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Duigou <m...@duigou.org>
Subject Re: apr_uint8_t and apr_int8_t?
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:12:45 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> I can definitely see your point.  Although it's not the highest priority,
>> we would certainly consider a patch to effect this behavior.
>
> Out of curiosity, has APR been ported to any architecture where
> the size of char is not 8 bits? If so, does the C implementation
> on that architecture expose an extended integer type (i.e., one
> that's not one of the standard types) that is 8 bits wide?

APR only runs on 8-bit char architectures that I am aware of.

The weird 9 bit chars based upon 36 bit words used by super computer
architectures are increasingly uncommon if not entirely obsolete.
However, there are supposedly some embedded C environments for asian
language devices which shortcut wchar_t handling by doing all of their
char handling as 16-bit. (Doesn't seem like a good idea to me FWIW). I
have no idea what these environments are nor how popular they are. I do
not know what they do for an 8 bit type.

Mike