apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <bnicho...@novell.com>
Subject Re: io abstractions
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:01:46 GMT
  Forgive me for jumping in late and I have to admit that I haven't
looked at the API's yet, but why do we need a new API?  Shouldn't the
apr_socket abstraction carry enough information so that apr_write()
would be sufficient and do the right thing?

Brad

<44A2D61F.5030704@rowe-clan.net>, "William
A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> david reid wrote:
>> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, either I haven't explained myself properly or you don't get
it.

> Apparently not, did the page jump under me?

>> BTW, please stop referring to it as iol abstraction - it's not iol -

>> it's plain old io. iol implies other aspects for me and while I
think
>> they're cool they'd live on top of this layer.
>
> Ok, when I totally +1'ed all of this new functionality, I begged that
the
> performance of explicit methods would not be impacted.  If someone
runs
> solely
> with a socket, there is no reason to add the overhead of
abstractions.  If