apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:39:35 GMT
david reid wrote:
> James Mansion wrote:
>> What's wrong with just using OpenSSL BIOs anyway?
>
> Nothing, but why layer upon layer when there is no real need?

Also keep in mind that we *should* be able to link against netscape's SSL
API invisibly; but building in sophisticated BIO related features would be
fine for RSA SSLC or OpenSSL, but would stink when it comes to using other
SSL implementations.

I see every modern crypto provider supporting the API David's proposed, and
the SHA/MD5 hashing I'm about to propose.  The more 'special features' of one
provider we define, the more code we will have to write when those API's are
not present.