apr-dev mailing list archives

From david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:33:58 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 6/16/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> Jeff Trawick wrote:

>> generic in
>> >
>> > What about an I/O layering system for sockets?  This is in essence the
>> > set of function pointers used by the one true sockets API to call out
>> > to the details, as mentioned in other posts.
>>
>> Only one question.  If we are back to BUFF filtering from Apache 1.3, can
>> we at least go back to history and look at why it was replaced by
>> filtering?
>> (Or would lurkers care to speak up?)
>
> The BUFF API was completely inappropriate for the types of
> transformations needed in httpd, and the requirement for plug and play
> of arbitrary transformations was more than strong enough to warrant a
> rewrite of the data handling around a more flexible API.  (And
> applications that want to play in that space have to embrace that more
> flexible API.)

This discussion has just gone round and round in circles. How about I
simply do what I started out doing - add an ssl socket implentation to
apr-util. Once it's in, tested and working it should be easier to see
if/when/how we then integrate the code into better/simpler usage models.

I assume that no-one will object to that approach?