apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: current dbd initiatives
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:43:37 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Bojan Smojver <bojan@rexursive.com> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Chris Darroch <chrisd@pearsoncmg.com>:
>> > 5) Renaming functions like apr_dbd_get_entry() to apr_dbd_entry_get().
>> > Is this the kind of thing that can be done with a minor version number
>> > change, i.e., in 1.3?
>>
>> I think Garrett already answered this one - only possible when jumping
>> major versions. So, this is something for 2.0.
>
> You can introduce the new names in a minor rev, deprecating the old
> names. In 2.0, you would then remove the old names.

Yup - be careful of ABI.

You can have two functions, one a stub to the other.

You can declare the new function as a macro stub to the old one.

What you can't do is declare the new function and then try to stub the old
symbol name, because the link/loader wouldn't be able to resolve it at link
time, only compile time.  That breaks our abi rules.