apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:41:22 GMT
david reid wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>

>>I'm doing some similar work, not for sockets, but to scratch apr's
>>implementation of hashing, etc from the library.  Your ssl detection looks
>>great, I'd much rather see this layer in apr-util (and perhaps a apr-helper
>>lib of it's own) rather than apr core.  It happens to be the same place my
>>ssl detection code lives.  I'm working on mine for FIPS-140 work.
>
> why not in core?

Three thoughts.  One, ssl is more of a library election than a platform election
and apr is devoid of nasty ugly extra dependencies ;-)  Two, it's a richer
interface; yes we might make core changes if we want 'pluggable apr_io_read /
write' but that doesn't mean the rich interface to ssl, or other pseudo-io
interfaces has to live there.

The third thought is that we already put crypto'ish stuff in apr-util.