apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] add ssl sockets
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:05:38 GMT
On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:39:35PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Also keep in mind that we *should* be able to link against netscape's SSL
> API invisibly; but building in sophisticated BIO related features would be
> fine for RSA SSLC or OpenSSL, but would stink when it comes to using other
> SSL implementations.

I think trying to support netscape's SSL is a bad choice given that it
is so different from the others. But if you really want to add support
for every SSL lib under the sun, then at least allow using BIOs when
linking against libs that do support it.

> I see every modern crypto provider supporting the API David's proposed, and
> the SHA/MD5 hashing I'm about to propose.  The more 'special features' of
> one
> provider we define, the more code we will have to write when those API's are
> not present.

Or simply not implement the feature when linking about the limited libs.
If you keep aiming for the lowest common feature set, it is going to end
up making the SSL support in apr a lot less useful.

vh

Mads Toftum