apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416407 - in /apr/apr/trunk/include: apr_errno.h apr_network_io.h
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:19:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 04:02:45PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> Author: dreid
> Date: Thu Jun 22 09:02:45 2006
> New Revision: 416407

> Log:
> - remove what appears to be a copy/paste error from docs in
>   network_io
> - add details about ranges of status numbers used by apr

Having a registry of error codes used by apps in apr_errno.h is a really
bad idea - once shipped it will immediately bitrot and become
misleading, something like this needs to be kept live and up-to-date
i.e. on the web site.

In any case, such a registry would need to have firm commitments of
ABI-stability, and svn_error_codes.h's only commitment is simply:

   "Define custom Subversion error numbers, in the range reserved for
   that in APR: from APR_OS_START_USERERR to APR_OS_START_SYSERR"

i.e. "we'll take it all, thanks" :) That could capped to a lower upper
bound at some point, but doing that is an ABI commitment.

joe