apr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Dubov <oa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: LONGs and LOBs [Was: improved error reporting for apr_dbd_mysql.c]
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:18:31 GMT
> We already have:
>
> - %s - string (i.e. char *, varchar in SQL)
> - %d - integer
> - %f - float
>
> I think we should stick with a single letter
> convention, for
> simplicity of parsing. So, how about:
>
> - %S - string (i.e. char *, text in SQL)
> - %D - unsigned integer
> - %c - char
> - %C - unsigned char
> - %h - short
> - %H - unsigned short
> - %l - long
> - %L - unsigned long
> - %q - quad (i.e. long long)
> - %Q - unsigned quad
> - %F - double
> - %b - blob (brigade, backend specific blob type 1
> in SQL*)
> - %B - blob (brigade, backend specific blob type 2
> in SQL*)
> - %o - blob (brigade, backend specific blob type 3
> in SQL*)
> - %O - blob (brigade, backend specific blob type 4
> in SQL*)
> - %i - time (string, time in SQL)
> - %a - date (string, date in SQL)
> - %A - datetime (string, datetime in SQL)
> - %t - timestamp (string, timestamp in SQL)
> - %T - timestamp with zone (string, timestamp with
> zone in SQL)
>
> * Blob types vary between backends a lot (e.g. MySQL
> has four types,
> Oracle at least 3 and so on). We should pick a few
> we'd like to
> implement in each.
I'm actually ok with this. But why do you need 4 blob
types? I say - give backend a bucket and it should
figure by itself what to do with it (use smallest blob
type available that fits). I would also propose a
plain bucket type, to simplify things:

%b - bucket
%B - bucket brigade

By the way, what are the plans for apu-2 (when it
should be ready)?