apr-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mansion" <ja...@wgold.demon.co.uk>
Subject RE: apr_proc_trylock for linux
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 05:11:33 GMT
>Since most unix boxes and applications are very happy to have multiple instances
>of the same application in use at the same time, can you help clarify what this
>sort of API accomplishes or is used for?

I think this is a rather common requirement for desktop apps.  In UNIX,
it would commonly be used on a per-login basis (sort of thing you'd get
a DBUS session bus instance for) but remember that its also effectively
used by init, and for server stuff its handy if you have a daemon that
is wanting to receive all UDP traffic broadcast to a particular address.

View raw message