apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Google Summer Of Code APR Applications
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 17:22:17 GMT
On 5/2/06, Walter Mundt <emage@spamcop.net> wrote:
> As some of you are aware, the ASF is participating in the Google Summer
> of Code, and two project ideas for work on APR are posted on the ASF
> wiki.  I'm planning on submitting Summer of Code applications for both
> (they look equally interesting to me), and I'd like some feedback before
> I submit them.
>
> I've posted drafts of them on the aforementioned wiki at
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/WalterMundt/SummerOfCodeProposals for
> your perusal and flaming pleasure.  Anyone is welcome and encouraged to
> read them and send me suggestions, either via this list or directly to
> my address.  Please note anything you'd like me to add/improve/expand
> upon (aside from the logging API design, though suggestions on how to
> approach that are welcome too!).
>
> I know the first proposal is pretty sketchy, but I'm not sure how much
> more there is to add; it's one of those things that's really easy to
> describe even though it will be difficult to implement.

One thing that might be worth thinking about for the win32 build
system stuff is the ability to control what external libraries the
system is linked against.  For example, right now all that is
hardcoded into the dsp and .hw files, so changing it is a pain in the
neck.  Once we have something generating those .dsp files it would be
really nice if it was able to control, for example, whether we link
against berkeley db or not, or if we use apr-iconv, etc.

-garrett