apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r410522 - /apr/apr-util/trunk/include/apu.hw
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 16:10:22 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Correct if you need to have installed headers files with binary
> distribution. In case you don't, its irrelevant.
> OTOH it's the same like APR_DECLARE_STATIC/APU_DECLARE_STATIC
> etc..

Different case, although I don't entirely disagree.  We set up this
convention so we could install both static and dynamic flavors; win32
is a little unique in having different compile bits thrown.  Presuming
you want the dynamic lib (almost always a good idea) then you have to
do nothing whatsoever.  If you really really want to tweak things to
build the library into your program (that's a stretch on unix too!)
then you have to throw these flags, and link to apr.lib instead of
libapr.lib, which already proves that this small discrepancy isn't
a huge deal.  You can't -lapr on windows in the first place.

> That's why we have apu/apr.hw at the first place.
> Having a perl, or a notepad is the same thing.
> I think we can have a simple .vbs or .js script.
> Using other languages is additional tool dependency thought.

I know :(

I'm almost resigned to saying something like, users who build APR have
.NET 1.0 or bigger installed, so just write the danged things in C#.

/shrug

Bill