apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_file_ungetc question
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 05:56:49 GMT
Michael Greene wrote:
> Once again getting APR 1.2.7 working with OS/2 and Open Watcom, I have a
> failure during testfile. The test is failing at test_ungetc. Part seems
> to be the test and part the OS/2 source. In the test, the file is opened
> APR_READ not APR_READ|APR_WRITE. However, I also need to know exactly
> how apr_file_ungetc should actually work.

ungetc simply 'puts back' or backs up the current offset by one.  So the next
read should again read the previously last character read - it's an optimization
if you are, say, reading to EOL, and find a /r or /n, and then back up one to
leave the pointer at the char you just read.

Write access must NOT be required ;-/

Bill