apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_proc_trylock for linux
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 05:27:02 GMT
James Mansion wrote:
>>Since most unix boxes and applications are very happy to have multiple instances
>>of the same application in use at the same time, can you help clarify what this
>>sort of API accomplishes or is used for?
>

> I think this is a rather common requirement for desktop apps.  In UNIX,
> it would commonly be used on a per-login basis (sort of thing you'd get
> a DBUS session bus instance for) but remember that its also effectively
> used by init, and for server stuff its handy if you have a daemon that
> is wanting to receive all UDP traffic broadcast to a particular address.

*Bingo*.  We don't simply tie this out to 'this process (binary) is running',
but it probably needs a modifier, e.g. 'this process in this login is running',
or 'this process using resource X is running'.

So let's talk about some API for apr_app_proc_running( [???] ) that we could
consider for inclusion 1.3.0?  I'm fairly certain this is something we can
do portably.  Offers of help on other OS's if I tackle WinNT?

Bill