apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_proc_trylock for linux
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 19:08:15 GMT
Hans-Peter Weidinger wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> thanks for the info. I feared that the trylock will not be available for
> unixes (especially linux) permanently.

There's alot of work to do on the lock portability for APR 2.0, and several
changes that can be applied even before APR 2 is released.  (We don't change
our ABI within the version, e.g. existing APR-0 and APR-1 functions are set
in stone.)

In any case, I read the first post in this thread and thought OMG - if this
even is supposed to work, it's certainly not a portable test for multiple
instances of the same program running.

So what I'm hearing is a cry for some apr_app_proc_instance() function of some
sort, which would minimally report that another process of the same application
is already running, and preferably provide some apr_proc_t to reflect what the
original process was.

Since most unix boxes and applications are very happy to have multiple instances
of the same application in use at the same time, can you help clarify what this
sort of API accomplishes or is used for?

Bill