apr-dev mailing list archives

From Walter Mundt <em...@spamcop.net>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code Applications Submitted for apr-build-system and apr-logging
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 02:04:26 GMT
Henry Jen wrote:
> A couple comments:
>
> 1. How do you distinguish the event source? Even in a single
> application, multiple categories may be desired to classify the events.
> Not to mention different apps.

There is no facility to do this currently.  I deliberately decided to
leave that out for several reasons.  The most relevant for discussion on
this list is that I tried to make the API so that it provides the
minimal subset of logging functionality that must be implemented in a
platform-dependent way.  Since context-aware logging functions could
easily be built on top of this API without sacrificing any
functionality, I left them out.

If there is a consensus among APR developers that more functionality
(like this, but really anything useful that fits in the "has an optimal
platform-independent implementation" mold) should be included, I have no
problem adding it.

> 2. This may only be me, but I would like to have capability to turn off
> some logging capability at runtime. It's kind of different verbose
> levels. With that, you can have more verbose logs to help you debugging
> an application when needed while a minimum when things are running fine.

That's a very common usage scenario, and one that I allow via the level
parameters on the log constructors.  However, I neglected to add a
function for changing the logging level post-construction-time.  I'll
add a spec for one on the wiki and in any revised app if someone
comments through Google.

-Walter