apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving apr_xlate from apr-util to apr-iconv
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 17:41:05 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:

>>  From the users point of view noting will change, except that
>> the apr_xlate will reside in a different .so.
>
> In that case I still think it's a bad idea, there's no change other
> than requiring those users to download a huge amount of code they
> don't actually need because all they want is the wrapper functions
> that call through to the system iconv.

Well, users are downloading the code they don't need already.
For example, if I'm building win32/win64 code, why do I need
all that 'unix' source files. Not to mention the expat, etc.

If your only concern is the size of apr-iconv, then I think
you have a wrong 'concern'.

IMHO the dependency should be straightforward:
1. apr can be used as standalone.
2. apr-util can be used as dependent of apr only.
3. apr-iconv can be used as dependent of above.

That should be the fact for ALL platforms.

Regards,
Mladen.