apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Patch for checking expat on Solaris
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 12:10:35 GMT
Henry Jen wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Henry Jen wrote:
>>
>> After patch, my solaris binary can no longer be redeployed to /opt/httpd/, but
>> your binary finds your expat in /opt/sfw/lib or where ever.
>
> This should not be true, but I could be overlooking. Would you please
> elaborate?

If you are correct, and the search order remains LD_LIBRARY_PATH + -R path
+ default system locations, then I don't think I have an issue from that
perspective.  but...

This leaves me wondering, if we passed -L and successfully link, why isn't
libtool doing what libtool is supposed to be doing?  Are we trying to hack
around a libtool flaw?

> Before we sort out the problem, how about let's remove the -R and commit
> the rest? That at least allows configure to locate the lib correctly. I
> will try to ping you on irc to have some discussion if you get some time.

++1, let me review the rest and commit after giving the rest a bit more
consideration.

> It's the advise I got from Solaris engineers to use -R instead of change
> my system default setting with crle, and don't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Yes, I understand that.  On target machines where the same builds need to
be deployed relocatably in parallel, and where no build tools exist, that
suggestion is not practical.

> Following two URLs have covered the topic.

Thanks for the links!

Bill