apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Patch for checking expat on Solaris
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 08:56:19 GMT
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:10:44PM -0700, Henry Jen wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:06:07PM -0700, Henry Jen wrote:
> >>Attached please find a new patch using AC_CHECK_LIB to find the correct
> >>library path.
> >
> >If you want to rewrite this code then look at dbm.m4 for how to do it
> >properly.
> >
> >- you can't just call AC_CHECK_LIB, you need to cache and display
> >results properly
>
> Uh? The result are cached in expat_xxx as they were before. Am I missing
> something?

Doing:

+    for d in $1/lib $1/libdir ; do
+      CFLAGS="$old_cflags -I$1/include"
+      LDFLAGS="$old_ldflags -L$d -R$d"
+      AC_CHECK_LIB(expat, XML_ParserCreate, [

does not work as you might think.  AC_CHECK_LIB will cache the test
result the first time through the for loop; the second test will always
have the same result as the first.

> >- the -R flag should really never be used, especially like this - at the
> >very least, you can't assume all linkers support it.  You generally can
> >rely on libtool to add RPATHs iff necessary.
>
> Hmm, I don't know about how libtool add RPATH. Does it apply to
> situation like this(solve dependencies on some other share libraries
> without a .la) or it only works for *creating* a .la?

libtool will add an RPATH to libaprutil if it is linked against a
libexpat.la where the libexpat.la is in a directory which is not in the
standard system library search path.

Regards,

joe