apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: APR configure, sendfile & SunOS 5.8
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:53:31 GMT
On 4/19/06, Wesley W. Garland <wes@page.ca> wrote:
> This report isn't as complete as my UUID report, as this is IIRC a
> reasonably well-understood problem.
>
> 1. SunOS 5.8 does not necessarily ship with sendfile() and friends
right

> 2. APR configure with 1.2.7 seems to think it does

It checks for sys/sendfile.h and the sendfilev function, like the
other levels of APR.

> 3. APR configure with 1.0.1 didn't care (or maybe 1.0.1 didn't support
> sendfile?)
APR 0.9 and 1.0 also have the logic to detect sendfile on the machine
where APR is built.

> 4. APR configure could detect the presence of sendfile on Solaris by
> checking for
> /usr/include/sys/sendfile.h
> /usr/lib/libsendfile.so (or .so.1)

That's essentially what it does.

Do you have configure output for the machine where APR 1.2 thinks
(incorrectly) that sendfile is present?

> 4. To work around: add --without-sendfile to ./configure command line

Anybody building any level of APR on Solaris 8 and hoping to run the
binaries on a wide range of Solaris 8 boxes should add this parameter.

Is that really what is happening?

No level of APR detects at run-time whether or not sendfile is
present.  It only detects at build time, based on the characteristics
of the build machine.