apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Dumpleton <grah...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject Re: It's that time of the year again
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:45:23 GMT

On 17/04/2006, at 4:27 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Monday 17 April 2006 07:13, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> OK, let's play ...
>
> - Language bindings (mod_[perl|python|etc]) for new goodies
>   like DBD and XMLNS

This possibly ties up with something which I was intending to one day
implement
in mod_python. That is to export from mod_python, as optional
functions, functions
which would allow one to get access to the Python interpreter
instances plus other
functions for accessing/creating Python wrappers for request, server
and filter
objects.

The original intent of doing this was so that module writers using C
code could
access the Python interpreters already managed by mod_python and then
provide a means in their own module of being able to use Python code.

The particular use case I was seeing this as being targeted at was so
as to be
able to implement a mod_dav_python. That is, mod_dav_python is primarily
a C based module which hooks into mod_dav and bridges the C hooks
into hooks
implemented in Python. The mod_dav_python would need to provide Python
wrapper classes for all the mod_dav structures, but at least it
doesn't have to
duplicate what mod_python does in the way of interpreter management and
wrappers for request object etc. Overall this could allow a mod_dav
filesystem
to be implemented in Python.

The same set of optional functions exported from mod_python may be
useful for
implementing your suggestion. It is certainly a preferable approach
to making
mod_python understand something like mod_dav and embedding the support
within it as standard.

Graham