apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: unix/local domain sockets
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:13:58 GMT
On 4/27/06, Mathias Brossard <mathias.brossard@idealx.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>         I've been looking at the mailing-list archives to understand why
> PF_UNIX / PF_LOCAL sockets (and the AF_UNIX / AF_LOCAL address family
> counterpart) are not supported in APR. The reason (from what I
> understand) seems to be that this feature doesn't exist in Win32.
> Some proposals have been made (return APR_ENOTIMPL on platforms that
> don't support it, use of named pipes), but I haven't seen any conclusion.
>         My general question is : what is the current position on unix/local
> domain sockets support in APR ? My speculations are:
> - It can't be properly implemented in Win32, this goes against some
> "don't add any feature that's not portable" policy.
> - This issue is just waiting for a proper patch, otherwise there's no
> reason not to support it.
> - Not enough users have complained about this so it doesn't seem
> important (although misc/unix/rand.c uses unix socket for access to EGD).

I believe the current issue is simply that there's no equivalent on
win32.  That said, it's not all that hard to write portable unix
domain socket code, and the apr_portable.h file gives you the ability
to shove the resulting file descriptor into an apr_socket_t so you can
use it with apr functions.

View raw message