apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Patch for checking expat on Solaris
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 02:44:20 GMT
Henry Jen wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> The issue I have is that your -enforcing- -R destroys my -portability-.  We
>> need to find a happy comprimize to build to a manditory -prefix versus the
>> usual -prefix, yet relocatable (with LD_LIBRARY_PATH).
>
> Hmm, I am curious what portability is destroyed. :-)

IIUC, before patch, my solaris binary can deployed at an arbitrary /opt/apache2/
location, apachectl resolves the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Before patch, your arbitrary
solution (linked to a thirdparty build of expat installed in /usr/local/lib or
some other, nonstandard, location) fails to resolve libexpat.so at run time.

After patch, my solaris binary can no longer be redeployed to /opt/httpd/, but
your binary finds your expat in /opt/sfw/lib or where ever.

So my point is, if you want to add -R explicitly to your ldflags, that's cool.
If you want to come up with a proposal to make this automatic but optional,
that's cool too.  If you unilaterally decide your way is right, that's not cool.

:)

Bill