apr-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Jen <henry...@ztune.net>
Subject Re: Patch for checking expat on Solaris
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:44:14 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Henry Jen wrote:
>>      > -L and -R should be redundant, no?
>>
>>     No, they are not. -L is for link time, -R for runtime. For the
>> default
>>     linker on Solaris, the -R is taking the value from -L as gnu ld.
>>
>> I meant to say Solaris default linker does not behave the same as GNU ld.
>> -R is recommended practice on Solaris. crle or LD_LIBRARY_PATH can do
>> the trick, but those practice are discouraged.
>
> The issue I have is that your -enforcing- -R destroys my -portability-.  We
> need to find a happy comprimize to build to a manditory -prefix versus the
> usual -prefix, yet relocatable (with LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

Hmm, I am curious what portability is destroyed. :-)

I mean, based on my limited platform experience, gcc supports -R and
Windows is not using autotools, right? And if you built with the -L
path, isn't it should be the same for -R?

I can work around this by using LDFLAGS but that may not be as precise
as this.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Henry