apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Brossard <mathias.bross...@idealx.com>
Subject unix/local domain sockets
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:42:37 GMT
Hi,

	I've been looking at the mailing-list archives to understand why
PF_UNIX / PF_LOCAL sockets (and the AF_UNIX / AF_LOCAL address family
counterpart) are not supported in APR. The reason (from what I
understand) seems to be that this feature doesn't exist in Win32.
Some proposals have been made (return APR_ENOTIMPL on platforms that
don't support it, use of named pipes), but I haven't seen any conclusion.

	My general question is : what is the current position on unix/local
domain sockets support in APR ? My speculations are:
- It can't be properly implemented in Win32, this goes against some
"don't add any feature that's not portable" policy.
- This issue is just waiting for a proper patch, otherwise there's no
reason not to support it.
- Not enough users have complained about this so it doesn't seem
important (although misc/unix/rand.c uses unix socket for access to EGD).

Sincerely,
--
Mathias Brossard <mathias.brossard@idealx.com>