apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Documentation Project
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:27:40 GMT
Tom Bradford wrote:
> Greetings, I have a few questions after having been subscribed to  this
> list for a few days.
>
> 1) I see that there's not a lot of activity on this list.  What is  the
> current active status of the project?

apr tends to grow in fits and spurts.  So you may see the list quite quiet
for a time (-especially- when alot of the main contributors are hiding over
at httpd, svn or other projects trying to get to some end goal).  On the
other hand, prepare for 20-30 mail deluge some afternoon, you've been warned :)

> 3) The documentation is scarce or non-existent.  Everything I've
> learned thus far has been from Inoue Seiichiro's tutorial.  Are there
> any official documentation project's active or planned?

The documentation can -certainly- use improvement, mostly from the perspective
of 'new to apr, how do I get started?' along with some of the more cryptic bits
of collective knowledge.

> I'm currently using APR for a commercial router project, and am
> learning as I go.  I'm rather impressed with the elegance and clean  use
> of incomplete types for a more, dare I say it, 'object oriented'
> approach to C APIs.

Glad to hear it looks suited to your project!

> If there is no documentation project currently active, I can attempt  to
> document what I'm learning as I go, and donate it back to the  project.

Documentation discussions do belong on dev@apr, since the docs need the
eyeballs of the authors who designed the interfaces.  Thank you for the
offer, as all contributions, code, docs, beer are welcome.

Bill