apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: It's that time of the year again
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:57:02 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>>The httpd community has never objected to it.  IF you are suggesting putting
>>wire protocol implementations in APR, I think again you are overloading the
>>charter.  Suggesting that a matching client wire protocol library fits into
>>the httpd's project goals makes alot more sense.
>
> However, that I will disagree with.  httpd has never wanted a client
> library for the same reasons as APR: scope creep.  It's outside of our
> charter.  -- justin

If this is still the sentiment (my personal take is that we are the keepers
of one HTTP reference implementation, so offering a client reference impl isn't
outside the charter - ergo I disagree with the sentiment), well then...

...if you are interested in moving serf to 1) a full blown subproject (to avoid
the development noise on our primary dev@ channel) or 2) creating a serf TLP,
I'd jump on mentoring/joining that effort in a heartbeat.  It would probably be
the fastest incubation process to date; re-importing an effort which started
here, enjoys the ASF license, and (I believe) entirely maintained by ASF CLA
holders ;-)

Bill