apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_proc_create
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:01:25 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> You could on Unix, but on Windows there is no fork command.  It is
> done with CreateProc (or something like that), which doesn't have
> flexibility that fork has.

On windows, when we invoke CreateProc, the listeners should initially be
inherited.  But as they are initialized in the child, they should then be
flagged non-inherited.

This is simple for filesystem handles.  Unfortunately, with LSP (layered service
providers) the "socket handle" might not reflect a win32 handle (!)  This would
obviously mess up handle inheritence rules.

Going back to the first incident...

 > The created process is intended to remain running regardless of whether the
 > Apache server is running.  I'm noticing that after the process is created,
 > and the Apache server is stopped and I attempt to restart it, I get an
 > indication that the socket (port 80) is in use and Apache won't start.

When is this created process launched?  During the -parent- processing.  Of
course all of the shared resources between the parent->child are ALL inherited
by this process.

Other than waiting until the first child spins it off, I can't think of a simple
and portable solution.

Apache's really not the place to launch stand-alone, detached daemons, which is
what this developer appears to be doing.

Bill