apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: One last analysis of *1.2* symbols
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:53:18 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> So I presume from your list that apr and aprutil build as a single dynamic
> object in apr 0.9, and 1.x?  Could we get this right and split them when
> apr 2.0 ships out?  Already, several projects use only apr, and don't wish
> to have all the apr-util baggage.  [Of course, there's the broader discuss
> to happen about splitting apr into dependency-related groupings, but that's
> a topic for another day :-]
>
> I'd really like to have the build for apr-util not depend on resource lists
> in the apr repository, e.g. the need to add apu_version.h to a dependency
> list.
>
> Bill

Unfortunately APR and APR-Util are a single APRLib on NetWare and even more unfortunate is
that splitting them apart would be a huge pain.  Mostly due to the fact that there are no
process boundaries on NetWare so if two applications are loaded that both use APRlib.nlm,
by default they are both looking at the same data block within the APRlib.nlm.  Multiple APR
applications end up just stomping all over the same static data. There were a lot of hoops
that I had to jump through to make sure that multiple applications using the same APRlib.nlm
get allocated a different data block and then reference counting the whole thing so that APRlib.nlm
knows when all applications using it have terminated so that it knows when it is safe to unload
itself.  Trying to do this again for APR-Util as well as handling the interactions between
the two libraries is a lot more than I have resources to handle it for now.  Anyway, it is
a huge mess and so far not worth trying to straighten out on NetWare considering the limited
use of APR on the NetWare platform vs the SUSE Linux alternative.

Brad