apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Patch for checking expat on Solaris
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:09:33 GMT
Henry Jen wrote:

> +  elif test -r "$1/include/expat.h"; then
> +    dnl Expat 1.95.* installation (without libtool)
> +    dnl Solaris
> +    expat_include_dir="$1/include"
> +    expat_ldflags="-L$1/lib -R$1/lib"
> +    expat_libs="-lexpat"

Here's my essential problems with growing this cruft further :(

-L and -R should be redundant, no?  Further, there's this lovely assumption
that because we find an expat .h in X/include/ we infer without any testing
whatsoever there is a ld in X/lib.

These sorts of fragile assumptions *throughout* the build system (not singling
out specifically your patch), e.g. the old uuid detection code, ongoing debates
about lib64 (you assume $1/lib, how do you know X/include/ isn't X/lib64/'s?)
Make me really hesitate to touch the code further without a real test-compile
and test-link as the new uuid code performs (before bailing with 'I surrender!')