apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: APR-util UUID generator broken
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:09:09 GMT
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006, Max Bowsher wrote:

> [...]
> OK, I'll backport it. Just out of curiosity, is there any problem caused
> by the weird UUIDs?

I'm not aware of any functional problems.

I'm just still trying hard to fix the existing UUID implementations
to make sure that everything which looks like a UUID actually is also
a standard-conforming UUID. You would be surprised how many software
exists on the net which claim to produce "UUIDs" but actually generates
nothing more than 128 bit of pseudo-randomness, printed as hex values
with a few dashes between them ;-)

> Should I be considering backporting it to 0.9.x as well? (Anyone using
> Apache 2.0.x must continue to use APR 0.9.x, and 0.9.x will remain the
> default bundled with Subversion for the forseeable future.)
> [...]

If APR 0.9.x will be still productive even in the forseeable future I
suggest to backport the fix to APR 0.9.x, too. Because even if there is
most of the time no functional problem with the bogus UUIDs (as long as
nobody tries to _decode_ them as I do with OSSP uuid ;-) it looks rather
unprofessional when modern applications like Subversion generate such
bogus UUIDs into every repository.

Thanks for your investigation.

Yours,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall