apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: DBD: Prepared statements with PGSQL
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:49:51 GMT
On Friday 07 April 2006 19:45, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Bojan Smojver <bojan@rexursive.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Bojan Smojver <bojan@rexursive.com>:
> > > Is there are particular reason why PQprepare() isn't used to prepare
> > > statements? Currently, DBD code builds an SQL statement with PREPARE
> > > [...] at the beginning and then executes that, instead of calling the
> > > mentioned API function.
> >
> > Don't worry about answering this. Looks like 7.4 doesn't have this
> > call, so I'm guessing it a backward compatibility thing.
>
> Well, there's no reason we can't use it if it is available in the
> version of the postgres libraries we link against.  Shouldn't be too
> hard to put the autoconf glue together to detect it.

Indeedie.  I'm not sure why it's not there.  But much of the code there is
grabbed from stuff that's older than apr_dbd.  It may not have existed
in the PgSQL version originally used.  It's also possible that it did exist
but that the code was written with insufficient reference to TFM.
Do you know when PQprepare first appeared?

--
Nick Kew